Book this tour if you'd like...
- A unique journey round the sites, stories and secrets of the Old Town you might otherwise miss
- A tour led and loved by Mercat historians
- A wonderful introduction to Edinburgh, it’s past and people
- A guided visit to Edinburgh Castle
Hidden gems waiting to be discovered
The best way to explore Edinburgh is to follow your feet. Where the buses can’t take you, and the guide books don’t show you is where our real stories can be found – the closes, wynds, courtyards and homes of Old Edinburgh.
We’ll paint a vivid picture of our colourful past and people - see the secrets and tell the tales - the culture, crime and politics of Scotland's capital. This is an experience shared by Mercat historians.
Your experience of the Old Town is the then completed with an optional visit to Edinburgh Castle. The Castle dominates Scotland's capital city from its great rock. Its story has helped shape the nation's story.
Battles and sieges were fought over it, royalty lived and died within its walls, and countless generations have been and inspired by it. Visit the Castle and let your Mercat guide reveal it's remarkable history.
Fascinating and Revealing
Take a glimpse of your tour here...
- Summer (April - October): 2.15pm daily
- Winter (November - March): 2.15pm Sat and Sun