We're recruiting for Storyteller Tour Guides5th Oct 2018
We're looking for enthusiastic and energetic Storytellers to join our team.
Purpose and Objectives;
- To give history a damn good telling
- Deliver an authentic, high quality, visitor-centred experience of Scottish history
- Represent Mercat Tours, and our city, in a positive, professional manner
- Share ideas on how to improve Mercat’s service and develop new business
- Help drive the growth of Mercat in a positive, sustainable future as part of our dynamic team
Main Duties and Responsibilities;
- Deliver walking tours of the Royal Mile, Blair Street Underground Vaults, Edinburgh Castle and National Museum of Scotland
- Make meaningful connections between visitors, locations, stories and tour theme to ensure a unique and memorable experience
- Share your own passion through engaging and entertaining storytelling
- Involve the audience to increase impact and effect of tour
- Thorough knowledge of Edinburgh, and Scottish, history required
Visitor care & focus;
- Welcome and interact with visitors pre-tour
- Prioritise visitors’ needs at all times
- Assess suitability of tour route and adjust accordingly
- Manage and support any unwell visitors
- Aware of fire evacuation procedures
- Up to date First Aid training
- Communicate, support and work with Visitor Services team to ensure a first class, visitor focused experience
- Thorough knowledge of Edinburgh and Scottish history
- People focussed
- Positive and proactive approach to problem solving
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Passion for history
- Positive, supportive team member
- Flexible and resourceful
- Ability to use initiative
- Organised and punctual
- Calm under pressure
- Commitment to help us be the best we can be
- Passion for high quality product and visitor experience
- Commitment to be the best you can be
Find out what it's like to work as a tour guide from our guides.
Stage 1: Successful applicants will be invited for an interview and audition on 10th or 12th December
Stage 2: Successful interviewees will be called for a second audition and storytelling workshop (approximate duration 2.5 hours) date to be confirmed after audition stage.
Stage 3: Successful candidates will be offered a fixed term contract with a four-month probationary period. You will receive our award-winning, accredited training to deliver tours resulting in a qualification in Guiding from Napier University.
Start week beginning 14th January
- Part time and full time roles available (5 - 30hrs)
- Shifts vary in length from 4.5 to 7hrs per day
- Working hours 10am – 11pm
- Working week Monday to Sunday
- 4 month probationary period
- Completion of our accredited training programme results in a Tour Guide Qualification (SCQF Level 10), externally verified by Edinburgh Napier University.
We are a Living Wage employer offering £10pr/hr starting rate, moving to £13.35pr/hr on completion of training.
Interviews will be held at 28 Blair Street Edinburgh.