Work With Us
Language Storyteller Tour Guide
Mercat Tours are looking for enthusiastic and energetic Storytellers with languages to join our team.
We’re a five star family business who have been giving history a ‘damn good telling’ since 1985. We always aim to be the best we can be, and we have plans to grow.
Can you help us create fantastic memories for visitors?
We want to welcome fluent French, German, Italian or Spanish speakers who have a flair for presentation, passion for history and loyalty to working with our great team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities;
- Delivery of scheduled and private group tours of the Royal Mile, Blair Street Underground Vaults, Edinburgh Castle and National Museum of Scotland
- Delivery of 1-3hr storytelling experiences in at least one language; French, German, Spanish, Italian or English
Schedule language tour programme;
|Apr - Oct||Nov - Mar|
|Geheimnisvolle Royal Mile||10am daily||10am Thu - Sun|
|Fossoyeur d’Histoire||5.30pm Thu - Sun||5.30pm Thu – Sun|
|Verborgene Geschichten||6pm daily||6pm Thu - Sun|
|Sotteranei Spettrali||6.30pm Thu – Sun||6.30pm Sat|
|Misterios De Ultratumba||7.30pm daily||7.30pm Thu - Sun|
- Fluent French, German, Italian or Spanish speakers
- Commitment to high quality visitor experience
- People focussed
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Passion for history
- Positive, supportive team member
- Flexible and resourceful
- Organised and punctual
- Calm under pressure
- Commitment to help Mercat be the best we can be
Stage 1: Successful applicants will be invited for a 40min interview and audition on either 6th or 7th June 2018
Stage 2: Successful interviewees will be called for a second audition and storytelling workshop (approximate duration 2.5 hours) date to be confirmed after audition stage.
Stage 3: Successful candidates will be offered a fixed term contract with a three-month probationary period. You will receive our award-winning, accredited training to deliver language tours.
We are a Living Wage employer offering £10pr/hr starting rate, moving to £13pr/hr on completion of training. The team share an annual discretionary bonus and company holiday home.
- Contracts from 5hrs – 15hrs per week, dependent on your language skills
- Those fluent in English will be trained to deliver English-speaking tours
- Evenings and weekend availability essential
- Availability required Monday - Sunday
There will be a 3 month probationary period.
Please send your CV and Personal Statement to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 25th May 2018.
Interviews will be held at 28 Blair Street Edinburgh.